FreeOTFE Explorer allows encrypted volumes to be mounted on MS Windows PCs, and their contents accessed (both reading and writing) via a Windows Explorer-style user interface.
Unlike all other disk encryption systems, FreeOTFE Explorer does not need any device drivers to be installed on the computer it is run on, making it perfect for use with USB drives (and other removable media), where volumes need to be accessed on PCs where FreeOTFE hasn''t been installed, and administrator rights are not available to the user in order to start FreeOTFE in "portable mode". For example, in Internet Cafés (AKA Cybercafés), where PCs are available for use, but only as a "standard" user.
- Driverless operation - making it ideal for carrying your data securely on USB drives or other removable media.
- Fully compatibile with FreeOTFE on-the-fly disk encryption
- No installation needed
- Easy to use; full wizard included for creating new volumes
- Data encrypted on your PC can be read/written on your PDA, and vice versa
- Available in English, German, Italian, French and Spanish
- Hash algorithms include: SHA-512, RIPEMD-160, Tiger and many more
- Cyphers include AES (256 bit), Twofish (256 bit), Blowfish (448 bit), Serpent (256 bit) and many more
- Security tokens/smartcards supported for extra (optional) security
- Operates under both PC (MS Windows 2000/XP/Vista) and PDA (Windows Mobile 2003/2005 and Windows Mobile 6) platforms
- Linux compatibility (Cryptoloop "losetup", dm-crypt and LUKS supported)
- "Hidden" volumes may be concealed within other encrypted volumes, providing "plausible deniability"
- Modular design allowing 3rd party drivers to be created, incorporating new hash/cypher algorithms
- Allows users to backup and restore the critical areas of volume files.
- Keyfile support included; store volumes and their associated metadata separately.
- Plus more...!
» version 3.51 - posted on 2010-02-07
Added Russian translation
» version 3.40 - posted on 2009-10-13
Optimised read/write performance and numerous usability improvements
EULA - End User License Agreement
FreeOTFE Explorer Licence (v1.1)
1. Original Author: The individual, organization or legal entity identified in Exhibit A
2. Original Work: The Source Code, documentation and built executables relating to the software identified in Exhibit B
3. Derivative Works: Any modified version of the Original Work (or product which uses any part of the Original Work) and any subsequent Derivative Works.
4. The Software: The Original Work or any Derivative Works
5. You: Any individual, organization or legal entity wishing to use The Software for any purpose.
6. Source Code: The complete source code including all related build scripts, images and components required to build the source code into an executable version
2. Grant of license
1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this licence You are granted a world wide, royalty free, non exclusive licence to use, copy, distribute, display and modify The Software released under this licence.
3. Modifications and Derivative Works
1. The Software may be modified in order to produce Derivative Works subject to the following:
1. Derivative Works in executable form must prominently display the notice detailed at Exhibit C whenever the Derivative Work is started and in any display and documentation where copyright is asserted for the Derivative Works
2. Derivative Works may not be named or be identified using any of the names specified in Exhibit D nor use any similar sounding or potentially confusing name
3. Derivative Works may not use any of the names specified at Exhibit D or that of the Original Author to promote or endorse the Derivative Works without the prior written permission of the Original Author.
2. Derivative Works in executable form may only be distributed provided that:
1. Such distributions include a copy of this licence
2. The Source Code used to produce the Derivative Works must be released under this licence
3. The Source Code used to produce the Derivative Works must be made freely available to anyone who wishes a copy (including but not limited to the Original Author any recipient of the Derivative Works) for a minimum period starting from the time at which the Derivative Works are initially distributed to at least two years after the Derivative Works cease to be distributed.
1. This licence terminates automatically should You:
1. Fail to comply with any of the term of this license
2. Commence any action including claim, cross-claim or counterclaim against the Original Author
5. Disclaimer of Warranty
1. THE SOFTWARE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
The Original Author is:
* Sarah Dean
The works covered by this licence are:
* FreeOTFE Explorer
The notice to be shown is:
This software is based on FreeOTFE and/or FreeOTFE4PDA, the free disk encryption system for PCs and PDAs, available at www.FreeOTFE.org
Tell us your experience with FreeOTFE Explorer3.51
RELATED PROGRAMS Our Recommendations
FreeOTFE FREE FreeOTFE is a free, open source, "on-the-fly" (OTFE) transparent disk encryption program. Using this software, you can create one or more "virtual disks" on your PC - anything written to which will be automatically, and securely, encrypted before being stored. Features include: - Highly... Download
FreeOTFE4PDA FREE FreeOTFE4PDA is a free, open source, "on-the-fly" (OTFE) transparent disk encryption program. Using this software, you can create one or more "virtual memory cards" on your PDA - anything written to which will be automatically, and securely, encrypted before being stored. Features include: -... Download
Advanced Encryption Plugin for Explorer TRIAL Encryption Plugin for Windows Explorer provides easy file encryption support for standard Windows Explorer. It adds new Encrypt/Decrypt/Shred/Create SFX commands to the context menu of Windows Explorer. AEPE introduces dozen of strong encryption algorithms including 256-bit AES. Additionally it... Download